MegaCell comic book and organelle game from NobelPrize.org
Simulations & Tutorials
What is a Cell– identifying different types of cells
Explore a Cell– cell organelles
Bioengineering– Making new cells to repair a knee
Video 1: A Tour of the Cell (Bozeman Biology on YouTube)
Video 2: Why Are Cells Small?
Video 3: The Cell Membrane
Bonus Video: Bacteria
Bonus Video: Viruses
Key Learning: All living things are made up of one or more cells. Cells come in a variety of shapes and sizes that suit their diverse functions. Cell membranes help organisms maintain homeostasis by controlling what substances enter or leave cells.
UEQ: How can we describe the relationship between structure and function in prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
**NOTE: See unit 1 for additional concepts taught in this unit for this year.
Concept 1: Cell Structure & Function
- What is the relationship between the structure and function of the major cell organelles found in a eukaryotic cell?
- What similarities and differences exist between prokaryotic and eukaryotic cells?
Concept 2: Cell Transport
- How does the cell membrane regulate the movement of materials into and out of the cell?
- How do concentration gradients impact the movement of materials across the cell membrane?
- What are the similarities and differences between active and passive transport?