Key Learning: The theory of evolution is used to explain the diversity of life found on the Earth as well as to predict future changes in biodiversity.
UEQ: How do environmental and genetic factor’s work together to cause evolutionary changes in organisms?
Concept 1: Origin of Life
- What experiments led to the development of the scientific explanation for the origin of life?
- How can we use endosymbiosis to support the theory of the origin of eukaryotic cells?
Concept 2: Mechanisms of Evolution
- What are the major causes and effects of natural selection?
- How do mutation and genetic recombination impact genetic variation?
- What influence do genetic drift and gene flow have on evolutionary change?
- How do we use the Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium equation as a theoretical model to predict differences in genotypes in a population?
Concept 3: Evidences of Evolution
- How can we analyze the various supporting evidences for the scientific theory of evolution?
Concept 4: Hominid Evolution
- How does brain size, jaw size, language and use of tools show evidence for trends in hominid evolution?