- DNA Double Helix- Build DNA and identify organisms it belongs to
- Journey Into Human DNA– DNA & Nucleotide Structure
- DNA-RNA-Protein– Look at the process of Protein Synthesis from Nobelprize.org
Video: What is DNA? (From Bozeman Biology on YouTube)
Video: Transcription and Translation
Key Learning: DNA carries the genetic information of a cells and consists of thousands of genes. Each gene serves as a blueprint for building protein molecules. The structure of DNA allows for it to be quickly and accurately replicated so proteins can be synthesized.
UEQ: What influence does DNA have on the functions of a cell?
Concept 1: DNA
- What roles did key scientists play in discovering the substance and structure of DNA?
- How does the structure of DNA facilitate replication?
Concept 2: RNA & Protein Synthesis (The “Central Dogma” of Biology)
- How can we compare and contrast the structure and function of DNA & RNA?
- How do transcription and translation work together to result in gene expression?
Concept 3: Mutations
- How can we describe the impact that various types of mutations that may occur in a DNA sequence?
- How do mutations in gametes result in phenotypic change?
Concept 4: Biotechnology
- What impact does biotechnology have on the individual, society and the environment?
- How do we use biotechnology to improve the quality of human life?
- What influence do the ethics have on research and use of biotechnology?